History of Elsternwick Cricket Club
Elsternwick Cricket Club was
founded in 1900 and played on a ground that was loaned by a local private
landowner. In order to develop its own
facilities, the Club commenced a campaign to raise funds for the building of
the ground, now known as Elsternwick Park Main Oval. The ground was opened in 1903 and the Club
staged a re-enactment of the opening in November 2003 to celebrate the
centenary of the ground.
In the early years of the Club,
fundraising enabled the development of tennis courts, a hockey ground and
pavilion. Later, baseball and lawn
bowling facilities were added, resulting in a large sporting complex for the
locals. The Club was the managing body
responsible for the maintenance of the grounds and other facilities.
In 1908, the Club joined the
Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association as a founding member.
In the 1930's, the second ground
was completed. At that time, Elsternwick
Park became only the second complex in Australia with two turf grounds, the
other one being the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Interestingly, the Club was the
first owner of a motorised turf roller in Australia.
The Club has continued to play a
significant role in the development of Elsternwick Park’s facilities, contributing
to the construction of a pavilion in 1983 and the building of public synthetic
practice wickets on Oval No. 2 in 1989.
In 2000, the Club constructed a storage and curator’s shed, which was
partly funded by the Bayside Council. As
part of its centenary celebrations, the Club conducted a tree planting around
the Main Oval and was instrumental in installing an automatic sprinkler system
on the main oval in 2002.
Recently the club has benefited from
a State Government and Bayside Council funded redevelopment of the Main Oval
and Pavilion at Elsternwick Park. The
synthetic practice wickets were completely reconstructed by Bayside Council in
2018 and Oval No.2 is being reconstructed and a new pavilion built.
The Club continues to be
proactive in its efforts to improve the facilities for the benefits of Club
members and the community.
The Club has had a continuous
association with Elsternwick Park for over one hundred years, being the
initiators of the development of swampland into the sporting complex available
today. The Club’s members are looking
forward to the continued occupancy of Elsternwick Park into the future.
One of the early policies of the
club was to cater for all irrespective of class, nationality or creed and to
help those who possessed the capacity for helping themselves, a philosophy
still held to this day.
The Club has produced Test match
players including Keith Miller and Ross Gregory.
For more information on the
club's captains, office bearers, award winners and best on field performances and
prominent members please click on the links in our history section.