History of Elsternwick Cricket Club
Elsternwick Cricket Club was founded in 1900, and played on a ground that was loaned by a local private landowner. In order to develop its own facilities, the Club commenced a campaign to raise funds for the building of the ground, now known as Elsternwick Park Main Oval. The ground was opened in 1903 and the Club staged a re-enactment of the opening in November 2003 to celebrate the centenary of the ground.
In the early years of the Club, fundraising enabled the development of tennis courts, a hockey ground and pavilion. Later, baseball and lawn bowling facilities were added, resulting in a large sporting complex for the locals. The Club was the managing body responsible for the maintenance of the grounds and other facilities.
In 1908, the Club joined the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association as a founding member.
In the 1930's, the second ground was completed. At that time, Elsternwick Park became only the second complex in Australia with two turf grounds, the other one being the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Interestingly, the Club was the first owner of a motorised turf roller in Australia.
The Club has continued to play a significant role in the development of Elsternwick Park’s facilities, with the construction of the present pavilion in 1983, and the building of public synthetic practice wickets on Oval No. 2 in 1989. In 2000, the Club constructed a storage and curator’s shed, which was partly funded by the Bayside Council.
As part of its centenary celebrations, the Club conducted a tree planting around the Main Oval, and 100 trees now encircle the ground. The Club was also instrumental in installing an automatic sprinkler system on the main oval in 2002.
The Club has recently upgraded both its turf practice wicket facilities and the synthetic practice wickets adjacent to Oval No. 2. The Club continues to be proactive in its efforts to improve the facilities for the benefits of Club members and the community.
The Club has had a continuous association with Elsternwick Park for over one hundred years, being the initiators of the development of swampland into the sporting complex available today. The Club’s members are looking forward to the continued occupancy of Elsternwick Park through the new millennium.
One of the early policies of the club was to cater for all irrespective of class, nationality or creed and to help those who possessed the capacity for helping themselves, a philosophy still held to this day.
The Club has produced Test match players including Keith Miller, Ross Gregory and Cameron White.
For more information on the club's captains, office bearers, award winners and century makers please click on the links in our history section.